Up to eight percent of children under the age of three may have food allergies. Allergies to food occur when the immune system reacts to some substance in the food, usually something completely harmless like a protein, and creates antibodies to fight this substance. The immune system creates antibodies to fight harmful foreign substances, but sometimes harmless substances trigger the immune system to result in an allergic reaction. Dr. Boyan Hadjiev, a top NYC allergy doctor, can help you determine if your infant is allergic to baby food.
Some of the most common foods that provoke allergic reactions in young children and infants are milk products, eggs, and peanuts. Tree nuts, including walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts, are often the cause of infant food allergies.
Infants in families with a history of food allergies in other family members, or conditions like eczema, hay fever, or asthma, are at higher risk of developing a food allergy. Infants who have the skin condition known as eczema are likely to develop a food allergy.
Dr. Boyan Hadjiev, one of NYC’s top allergy doctors, advises patients that their child may have an immediate reaction to food if the child exhibits hives around the mouth, nose, or eyes, right after ingestion of a particular food item. Other signs are swelling of the lips, eyes, or face, runny nose, sneezing, watery or itchy eyes, throat irritation, and stomach complaints that can include nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
Some allergic reactions can be very severe. These reactions are known as anaphylaxis, and they can cause death. The child may be wheezing or unable to breath, and his tongue or mouth can swell. Anaphylaxis can also cause a sudden drop in blood pressure.
A child who has a severe allergic reaction can die quickly if medical treatment is not immediate. Dr. Boyan Hadjiev, a top New York allergy doctor, often recommends that parents and caregivers of infants and children at risk for a severe allergic reaction carry an auto-injector of epinephrine at all times. If your child has a severe reaction and you do not have an epinephrine auto-injector available, call 911 immediately. In fact, if you treat your child with an auto-injector, you should still call 911, because a second reaction can occur swiftly after the medication wears off.
If your child has any signs of food allergies, you should call us today for a consultation with Dr. Boyan Hadjiev, one of New York’s leading allergy specialists. Dr. Boyan Hadjiev will work closely with you to diagnose and treat your child’s food allergy and prevent serious consequences.
A bee sting allergy is a venom allergy that can be potentially fatal. When a person with the allergy is stung by a bee, their body will overreact and start producing defensive chemicals more than needed. This causes the symptoms of the allergy, which can vary from mild to life-threatening.
The allergy is not curable, and people who experience mild symptoms have a significant chance of experiencing more severe symptoms the next time that they’re stung. Severe reactions require emergency health care, while mild and moderate reactions may be a reason to visit an allergy doctor.
The allergic reaction to a bee sting is caused by the venom that the bee injects when it stings. The bee will leave its stinger in the skin and the venom sack that is attached to the sting will release more venom in time. That’s why it’s important to remove the bee sting as soon as possible, in a gentle way – squeezing the sting may cause more venom to enter the body.
The mild forms of symptoms of a bee sting allergy include:
The severe forms of bee sting symptoms include:
These severe symptoms are called anaphylaxis, and they can lead to shock, cardiac arrest, and unconsciousness, with death as a possible outcome. They usually occur within minutes after being stung, and can progress to the most severe form in as little as ten minutes.
The treatment options depend on the severity of the allergic reaction. The allergy itself cannot be cured, so the treatment options that are available deal with the symptoms.
The severe symptoms of bee sting allergy are treated by:
If there is a severe reaction, or anaphylaxis, after a bee sting, it’s important to administer epinephrine as soon as possible. This will prevent further development of severe symptoms. People, who know they are prone to having severe allergic reactions to bee stings, should always have a shot of epinephrine with them. After the shot is administered, it is still a good idea to seek medical assistance. The milder symptoms are treated by:
Removing the sting should be the first step to stop further administration of the venom into the body. Cold compresses applied to the area are soothing, can relieve pain and reduce swelling. Hydrocortisone cream will help remove the redness, swelling and itching if the cold compresses don’t help, as will oral antihistamines.
Serving all of New York City and the Tri State Area including Zip Codes: Top Allergist NYC Midtown, Chelsea and Clinton: 10001, 10011, 10018, 10019, 10020, 10036 | Gramercy Park and Murray Hill: 10010, 10016, 10017, 10022 | Greenwich Village and Soho: 10012, 10013, 10014 | Lower Manhattan: 10004, 10005, 10006, 10007, 10038, 10280 | Lower East Side: 10002, 10003, 10009 | Upper East Side: 10021, 10028, 10044, 10128 | Upper West Side: 10023, 10024, 10025