Call Today to Schedule an Appointment: 212-319-5282
Anaphylactic shock occurs due to Anaphylaxis. This condition occurs when your body severely reacts to a substance, and on contact, you start experiencing a life-threatening reaction. When this happens, your body will release some chemicals. There are various serious consequences and complications for these conditions. If you are unable to visit an immunologist in time, this can be very dangerous as anaphylactic shocks can be fatal.
When your antibodies consider or overreact with food or any other harmless substance called allergens, it causes Anaphylaxis. Antibodies are the special body cells that attack and destroy infections such as bacteria or viruses that enter the body. You may not react when you come in contact with it as this will make antibodies active. However, when the next time that substance enters your body, the immune system overreacts and causes symptoms.
Children mostly suffer from anaphylactic shock due to food. The most common food children react to include wheat, soy, eggs, milk, fish, shellfish, or peanuts. However, in adults, peanuts, tree nuts (such as almonds, pine nuts, pistachios, cashews, hazelnuts, and walnuts), or shellfish, can lead to anaphylactic shock as well.
You may experience Anaphylaxis due to various allergens. Allergens are substances that are not harmful, but your body treats that substance as a threat. Here are some allergens that your body may find allergic:
The immune system of many people also reacts to the following substances:
Sometimes a combination of various foods along with breathing allergens can cause severe anaphylactic shock. So you need to be aware of what things you are allergic to and avoid those substances.
When you are in contact with a substance you are allergic to, you will start experiencing the symptoms immediately. The initial symptoms include runny nose and uneasiness. However, if you are still in contact with the substance, you will develop severe symptoms such as:
When your condition is worse, you may faint and stop breathing. You might lose your consciousness and require urgent medical attention.
When you are experiencing an anaphylactic shock, the first thing that you need to do is to inject epinephrine, which will give you a bit of control. After that, you need to visit the immunologist so that you can receive more adrenaline through IV. Antihistamines and glucocorticoids are also effective with this condition. These medications will help you reduce the inflammation in your esophagus and restore your ability to breathe.
Immunologists might also give you beta-agonists so that you can breathe easily. You can get enough oxygen by receiving supplemental oxygen. An immunologist will also treat any complication that you may experience after having an anaphylactic shock.
You can avoid anaphylactic shocks by preventing the following practices:
When you find someone experiencing anaphylactic shock, you need to immediately contact an immunologist and seek help. Sometimes when you take epinephrine doses, you still need medical attention or further care, so visit the immunologist after the attack. Various medications can help you relive instantly. However, before using any medication, always consult with the immunologist to avoid any risk of reaction.
Do you need to consult with an immunologist about an allergic reaction? If so, please contact us at 212-319-5282, or visit our offices in Midtown New York City. You can also schedule a telehealth consultation with our immunologist, Dr. Boyan Hadjiev, to discuss your condition.
Serving all of New York City and the Tri State Area including Zip Codes: Top Allergist NYC Midtown, Chelsea and Clinton: 10001, 10011, 10018, 10019, 10020, 10036 | Gramercy Park and Murray Hill: 10010, 10016, 10017, 10022 | Greenwich Village and Soho: 10012, 10013, 10014 | Lower Manhattan: 10004, 10005, 10006, 10007, 10038, 10280 | Lower East Side: 10002, 10003, 10009 | Upper East Side: 10021, 10028, 10044, 10128 | Upper West Side: 10023, 10024, 10025