Monthly Archives: May 2014

Bee Sting Allergy

What is an allergy to a bee sting?

A bee sting allergy is a venom allergy that can be potentially fatal. When a person with the allergy is stung by a bee, their body will overreact and start producing defensive chemicals more than needed. This causes the symptoms of the allergy, which can vary from mild to life-threatening.

The allergy is not curable, and people who experience mild symptoms have a significant chance of experiencing more severe symptoms the next time that they’re stung. Severe reactions require emergency health care, while mild and moderate reactions may be a reason to visit an allergy doctor.

Cause of a bee sting allergy.

The allergic reaction to a bee sting is caused by the venom that the bee injects when it stings. The bee will leave its stinger in the skin and the venom sack that is attached to the sting will release more venom in time. That’s why it’s important to remove the bee sting as soon as possible, in a gentle way – squeezing the sting may cause more venom to enter the body.

Symptoms of a bee sting allergy.

The mild forms of symptoms of a bee sting allergy include:

  • Redness of the skin
  • Pain and itching
  • Swelling
  • Small spots that look like pimples.

The severe forms of bee sting symptoms include:

  • Hives that spread beyond the sting site
  • Difficulty breathing and swallowing
  • Swelling of the face, throat and mouth
  • Rapid pulse
  • Anxiety
  • Low blood pressure, usually after a sudden drop

These severe symptoms are called anaphylaxis, and they can lead to shock, cardiac arrest, and unconsciousness, with death as a possible outcome. They usually occur within minutes after being stung, and can progress to the most severe form in as little as ten minutes.

Treatment of bee sting allergy.

The treatment options depend on the severity of the allergic reaction. The allergy itself cannot be cured, so the treatment options that are available deal with the symptoms.

The severe symptoms of bee sting allergy are treated by:

  • An epinephrine shot
  • Intravenous fluids
  • Oxygen may also be needed

If there is a severe reaction, or anaphylaxis, after a bee sting, it’s important to administer epinephrine as soon as possible. This will prevent further development of severe symptoms. People, who know they are prone to having severe allergic reactions to bee stings, should always have a shot of epinephrine with them. After the shot is administered, it is still a good idea to seek medical assistance. The milder symptoms are treated by:

  • Removing the sting
  • Applying hydrocortisone cream
  • Taking oral antihistamines

Removing the sting should be the first step to stop further administration of the venom into the body. Cold compresses applied to the area are soothing, can relieve pain and reduce swelling. Hydrocortisone cream will help remove the redness, swelling and itching if the cold compresses don’t help, as will oral antihistamines.

For more information on bee sting allergy or any other allergy, contact us today to schedule an appointment with the best Allergy Doctor in NYC.

Serving all of New York City and the Tri State Area including Zip Codes: Top Allergist NYC Midtown, Chelsea and Clinton: 10001, 10011, 10018, 10019, 10020, 10036 | Gramercy Park and Murray Hill: 10010, 10016, 10017, 10022 | Greenwich Village and Soho: 10012, 10013, 10014 | Lower Manhattan: 10004, 10005, 10006, 10007, 10038, 10280 | Lower East Side: 10002, 10003, 10009 | Upper East Side: 10021, 10028, 10044, 10128 | Upper West Side: 10023, 10024, 10025

[wpseo_address oneline="0" show_state="1" show_phone="1" show_email="1"]
[wpseo_map width="500" height="300" zoom="12" map_style="roadmap" scrollable="1" show_route="0" show_state="1" show_url="1"]